Hi there! I do not really like to cook on weekends. I feel like weekend is for everyone to chill out and do nothing, including me. However, this is an ideal situation and it is not always the true reflection of reality.
All mothers and wives out there will understand me, I am sure. Our job doesn’t end on weekends…we basically continue working, maybe in a bit slow motion but we still do. However, it doesn’t mean that we have to spend all day next to the stove and I do not think that my family would want that either, after all we want to spend some quality time together united in front of the TV or by the pool.
The way out is to cook something easy, quick and homely.
I have already mentioned once that the only person that loves aubergines in our family is I. However, it also depends on the recipe. So, even though family doesn’t really like aubergines, I did cook this recipe. To my satisfaction and to the family surprise the dish was accepted. It was also said: “we will eat it again”! Yay!
Now, about this recipe. Lovely combination of cream, garlic and aubergine freshened up with basil leaves. Well balanced and not too overpowering this dish can be served on it’s own or as an accompaniment to grilled chicken breast.
Recipe: Baked pasta with aubergine, cream and garlic
- 200 gr pasta
- a medium sized aubergine, halved lengthways
- olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes sliced
- a handful of basil leaves, torn up a little
- about 300 ml double cream
- a lump of Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water till tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200C/400 F
- Cut the aubergine into slices about as thick as a coin. Fry the aubergine slices in olive oil in a shallow pan till soft and golden. You can add more olive oil from time to time. Add the sliced garlic with the last vetch of aubergine. Mix the drained pasta, fried aubergine slices, garlic, tomatoes, basil and cream. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Tip into a large ovenproof dish. Grate the parmesan over the top to make a thin layer. Bake in the oven until bubbling and golden on top, 25 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2
Copyright © www.dilovely.com.
Recipe by Nigel Slater “Real Cooking”.